Thursday, September 5, 2013

Leaving . . .

No photographs this time.  Preparing to go to France for 20 days.  And the departure date is here, this afternoon.  A hiking trip of a few days from Uzes to Nimes (including Pont du Gard), then to Sete on the Mediterranean Sea so we can submerge ourselves in that ancient and mysterious and powerful sea. Someone told me yesterday that it's saltier than the ocean we know because of evaporation.  We'll find out.

I've made list and more lists, and yet another list.  In previous years, when I was gainfully employed, I had less time on my hands and so I was much more decisive about what I was going to do, what I was going to pack, and so on and on.  Obsessive is what I've become.  My list of clothing was completely organized in my head; I wrote it all down, gathered it all in one place, packed and repacked the suitcase.  And decided that this was too much.

But I was trying to balance the potential lack of laundry facilities against wearing soiled clothing.  I think the soiled clothing has won.  There's only a four day stretch in one hotel  in Toulouse, and that's during the conference itself - in the middle of my 20 days.  Funny thing about the World Canals Conferences - there are presentations in the morning and then tours in the afternoon, sometimes into the evening.  I believe there might be ONE evening that we are on our own.  That doesn't leave much room for searching out a laundromat (what is the French word for such?  Do they have such?). But I could bring my stretchy clothes line and hope that the maid who cleans the room won't knock any down anything drying there.

Plus there are gadgets that need recharging, which means adapters and converters (space eaters).  And with aging come additional medications (fortunately sorted into little daily compartments) and toiletries, and pretties for dressing up for the "banquet" (vanity, vanity).

One thing I absolutely must do is to find La Poste and mail my hiking clothing back home.  That will make hauling the suitcase easier, and give me a bit of room if there's a souvenir I want to purchase.

My hiking boots are about 12 years old and at the end of their useful life.  The goretex lining has lost its waterproofness. The right-foot boot has a crack in the leather that admits water.  So I shall leave them in some trash container or on the train or something.  (To save space today I'm wearing them rather than packing them.)  So not I just watch the hands on the non-digital clock circle round until Joe and I decide it's time to go.

I will not have electronics on this trip - - no smart phone, no tablet or laptop computer (not that I have one I could bring anyway).  So no more posting until much much later, and then with a lot of photographs (we hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment