Sunday, July 15, 2012

An Organic Farmers Market in Paris


Farmers' markets fascinate me. The idea that a kind of society has grown up linking urban dwellers with food growers and producers. The weekly markets have drawn me since I first learned of the one at Arlington's courthouse area several decades ago. So as I began to read about the organic market on Blvd. Raspail in France, and realized that it is almost next door to the familiar apartment, I promised myself that I'd find it. And this summer I persuaded my friends that it would be a treat.   Just a few blocks from where we were staying.

What follows are a series of photographs that I took in late June this year.

my friends, from right to left:  Barbara, Debbie, Ashley, 3 generations, 1 family

fetching veggie presentation

these are all soft cheeses

"try this fresh apricot"

many sizes and varieties of honey

a delight to lovers of confiture (that's jam, to Americans)


someone with a refined sense of style and order did this

no, despite my love of charcuterie, I bought nothing here

My thought on taking this pic:  Ham and Eggs, anyone?

olives, artichoke hearts, peppers, garlic cloves, cheese  . . .

hothouse roses


She has a very large shopping cart.

apple juices (not cider, which would be alcoholic)


on the right:  two cider vintages:  2010 and 2008

Arlington's market does not see such elegance

the Jack Daniels sweatshirt made one feel more at home

No comments:

Post a Comment